Caravanning in Europe

Whilst the UK has a wealth of beautiful places to visit, if you fancy venturing further afield, Europe has plenty of offer. Here's our guide to taking your caravan or motorhome to Europe.

Caravan travel europe


First things first, how are you going to get to Europe? You’ll need to book either the ferry or Eurotunnel.

Now to the exciting stuff – deciding where to go! The Camping & Caravanning Club has some great guides to countries in Europe here.

And now the admin stuff!

As the UK is no longer part of the EU, passports are now required and must be valid for at least 6 months from your first day of travel, and be less than 10 years old (even if they have 6 months or more until expiry).

You will need an ETIAS visa waiver (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) which can be filled in online and will then be valid for 3 years.

European TRavel Kit

You can drive in the EU if you have a photocard driving license  issued in the UK, though some countries may require an IDP (International Driving Permit). You can get this from the Post Office.

If your number plate doesn’t include at UK identifier you’ll need to display a Vehicle Cross Border sticker. For more information, click .

Be aware that there are certain foods and drinks which cannot be taken to the EU. These include milk, fruit, meat, vegetables. Click here for more information.

If you want to take your pet on holiday with you you’ll need to make sure they’re microchipped and given an anti-rabies vaccination. Your vet will be able to do this.

As well as getting used to driving on the other side of the road, there are also a number of additional differences when it comes to driving abroad. The Caravan Club has some really useful tips for driving abroad.


  • Passport
  • Vehicle registration document (V5c)
  • Warning triangle x2
  • Insurance certificates
  • Driving license
  • Visa waiver
  • Headlight converters
  • Hi-vis vests
  • Travel & health insurance (GHIC card)
  • Vehicle cross border sticker
  • First aid kit
  • Blind spot stickers (for larger motorhomes over 3500kg)



In case you missed it..

Sign up to recieve our email updates

Including news updates, blog notifications and all information you need to know about insurance, caravans and equipment.