Looking for a safe place to store your second home can be a daunting task. You want your caravan to be in the most secure location possible whenever it isn’t in use.
Here are some basic tips to help you find the most secure site possible.
- Ensure that the perimeter protection is well built and secure, robust perimeter protection is paramount to prevent unlawful access to caravans.
- A secure gate is equally important. Some sites may have automatic gates but this does not guarantee their security. The stopping quality of the gate is far more important than the means of opening/closing it. Where manual gates are used, confirm that the padlock is of high quality - there is little point in having a secure perimeter and gate if the padlock is not secure enough to support it.
- Fire protection should be in place at all sites, whether or not it is CaSSOA accredited.
- CCTV is an essential feature in deterring criminals. If CCTV is used the most important thing is to check that the system is operational and not a dummy model.
- Security lighting is an excellent security feature, in particular it should cover the entrances/ exits and any other vulnerable areas around the site.
- Storage contracts. Most sites will have some form of contract in place, these can range from in depth and complex legal documents to a simple record of personal information and a disclaimer for any liability. Regardless of the complexity of this document you should read it carefully before you sign it, as once it has been signed you are bound to all of terms and conditions contained within it.
- Check to see if the site is a CaSSOA member. A CaSSOA accreditation indicates that they have been assessed and satisfy at least a basic level of security.